Friday, March 09, 2007

Andy Mattern

Andy Mattern's website has a series of great night photographs of doorways and fronts of small buildings and convenience stores (not shown here... go click on the link above)

(photo: Andy Mattern)

Andy is based in New Mexico. The series of doorways is very simple, but stunning. All of the images are taken straight-on in front of the buildings. Many of the doorways are lit with a single light, and the images are all framed in darkness. I think they successfully capture that sense of isolation and potential danger that many of us find so appealing in good night photography. I find his work appealing because this is one niche that I've been shooting for years, but not as successfully as (this) Andy.

He also has a series of daytime shots of dumpsters, another subject that I've been occasionally shooting for years.

Thanks to Joerg Colberg of Conscientious for finding this one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Neat find. I live in the right area to do this sort of stuff too :D

As alway, you inform and please :D

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blogs highlighting photographers I might not see elsewhere (especially this post and Fulvio Bortolozzo). Thanks - and it was nice to meet you at MINSY Alum night.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home