Monday, August 21, 2006

William Fraser

Who is William Fraser? Although he's no relative of mine (my last name is spelled with a "z", not an "s"), we both share an interest in night photography. Or, maybe I should say, "shared" an interest in night photography.

(photo: William Fraser)

William Fraser took one of the earliest night photographs that I found for my night photography documentary film. The above photograph, A Wet Night: Columbus Circle, was taken around 1897 or 1898. Aside from being one of earliest artful night photographs, I love this image because it captures the cold, damp feel of the night (and it predates Brassai's brilliant foggy Parisian night work by 30 years).

I have no information on the size of the print, nor the medium he used to photograph it. If anyone can point me to any information about William Fraser, I would appreciate it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The print by William Fraser is from Camera Notes, vol. 2, no. 3 and is 6 1/2 x 4 13/16 inches. It is a photogravure.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Marc C. said...

I viewed this print yesterday at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. It is a very striking photograph.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home