Sunday, May 16, 2010

Warren Bates: One Last Look

A few days ago I posted about the death of Las Vegas night photographer Warren Bates. Recently I took some time to look through Warren's website and carefully think about every photograph. With the explosion of the internet over the past ten years, I can't remember the last time that I took time to carefully look through anybody's photo website. When I find a new website these days, I usually glance through the thumbnails and carefully look at a few of the most promising photos.

Yesterday someone wrote to me and asked, "What will happen to his flickr stream? And what about his website?" I imagine that his Flickr stream will disappear when his pre-paid Pro Account expires, and his website will disappear when his web-hosting ISP account becomes due. So, please take the time now to carefully look through the galleries of Warren's website while it's still available.

Here are a few of my favorites from Warren's website.

(Photo by Warren Bates)


(Photo by Warren Bates)


(Photo by Warren Bates)


(Photo by Warren Bates)

You can read Warren's obituary in the San Jose Mercury News.

2 Comments:

Blogger Germaine said...

Thanks, Andy, for posting these links. Bates did some amazing work.

I lived overseas for a number of years, and it always seemed that I met the nicest people just as they or I was leaving for somewhere else. I feel the same way about this body of work.

Germaine

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warren's sister is arranging for an exhibition of his work in Vegas the second week of April. The info should be available at warrenbatesphoto.com

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home